Thursday, December 31, 2015

Year in Review (part 1)

It's that time of year again!  As the year winds down, it is time to reflect on the year that's about to end

Personal Life



1) I became a "master" 

The biggest thing for me this year is finally graduating my master's in Library & Information Science (LIS) from UH-Manoa.    You can view reflections from the following post

Spring 2015 semester : http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/05/spring-2015-semester.html
Summer Session 2015 http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/08/uhm-summer-session-2015.html

and of course, my favorite and final semester ...................

.........Fall 2015 semester : http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/12/fall-2015-semester.html


Besides the LIS activities, my contribution to the larger campus was drafting a resolution calling for extended summer library hours, which I wrote about  at http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/07/gso-resolution-to-extend-summer-library.html


Now that I graduated, I also posted a reflection of my graduation and post-grad vacation experiences at
http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/12/graduation-vacation.html


2) Owning a computer

I had a computer back in my undergrad years (early 2000s), but towards the end, the thing stopped working. Plus when I moved into my apartment in 2003, I couldn't afford internet access at home, so I basically just went to the library to do most of my computer work.

So basically for a decade, I had to use the internet cafe or the library computers to type papers, do online job searches, check my email, use social media, and of course, writing blog posts!

I used to spend a lot of time at Netstop, my favorite internet cafe. Sadly, it closed down in 2011.

(see part 3 of  http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2011/03/condolences.html )

I did start using Netcafe, which is farther away from home, but even that place got shut down.  I think in that case though, the police's jihad against gambling scared businesses that had "gaming" machines to give it up! I remember the last time I used Netcafe, the "gaming" machines were gone, but so were most of the costumers. I didn't even use the "gaming" machines, I just used the internet computers, but I was still impacted by Netcafe's shut down.

I do live by a FedEX Office facility  open 24-7 where you can use the  computers for internet access, but they charge higher rates PLUS they don't even have a restroom for customers!

So yeah, it was reliance on libraries for computer use! And reliance on library hours, which are usually reliable, but closed on holidays and sometimes even 3-day weekends :( 

In 2013, I did get my  first smartphone (BlackBerry Q10) so I finally had some internet access at home, but the screen is so small! Smartphones are just useful for quick email checks and quick reference checks!


But in August of this year, knowing that I have extra money available from a scholarship, I used the extra money to get a desktop computer (hey, it's an educational expense).

Being that most libraries use Dell in their computer labs, I decided to search for Dell online. I wanted a computer that can use USBs, DVDs and SDs.

I also went to WalMat and notice that the HP (Hewlett-Packard) there  had the same thing as the Dells I wanted, but was much less expensive!

So I chose the HP over the Dell!

I also got internet access installed thanks to Oceanic!

Finally, I'm not at the whim of library hours!

I mean, I still go the computer labs at the libraries, mostly out of habit, and also for an occasional change of scenery!    But at least with a home computer, I can use it when the libraries are closed!

The HP came with Windows 8, but I was able to upgrade it to Windows 10! I mostly did it so I can use Microsoft Edge, which is a replacement for Internet Explorer!  Much faster too!  But Chrome is still faster than Edge!

I was also able to install Jing, a screenshot app that is superior to Snipping Tools. Jing was available for the LIS computer labs but not the other computer labs on campus, nor was it available at the public libraries.


The problem with the HP was that it came with very tiny speakers  and a very short mounting stand for the monitor!  I  later bought bigger speakers and an ergonomic stand that raises the monitor to a much more suitable height!

--------

Also at WalMart, I got the RCA tablet which is like a tablet/laptop hybrid in that it comes with an attachable keyboard. I only bought it because the Graduate Student Organization (GSO) no longer print grant applications. I was not happy with that decision since I rather read from a paper than a screen! But my concerns were ignored, and I had to rely on my Q10 (great keyboards, but tiny screen) to look at the grant applications.

The GSO meetings were the only time I used that RCA tablet/laptop hybrid. Being that I'm now done with being a UHM graduate student,  I probably won't use it again. Though I might keep it for now, just in case. However, that RCA tablet/laptop only has Android apps instead of Windows apps. I might replace it with a tablet/laptop that comes with Windows (ie. Surface, Dell, HP)!


And now that I'm done with being a UHM graduate student, I finally have time for .................................


 .....................3) Making Digital Music

When I was a teen, I got interested in owning a record label. This was in the late 90s, when Death Row, Bad Boy and No Limit were inspiring many music fans to go the independent route in making their own.

One problem though ........... studio equipment cost tons of money.  And as mentioned earlier, I had to rely on the libraries just to use the internet.

So my dreams of producing music has faded!

But this summer, the hit movie Straight Outta Compton came out! Seeing the NWA members working in the recording studio  was a sign  for me to revive my dreams.

Also, my LIS internship at the Image Library (newly renamed Visual Resource Center) had me working on digitization project, bringing old images from slides back to life. I was using both new school & old school technology. Just like Dr Dre has been doing for decades!

That's God sending me a message  ..............  you belong in media production, you should go back out there and make music!

Plus, now that I got my computer, I could make beats without all that expensive equipment, and without the need for a soundproof room.

So earlier this week, I looked for music making apps! While Garage Band  and Keezy are big names, they are only available via Apple.

So I had to search for alternate apps! So I found the Music Maker Jam, which is available for Windows.

Music Maker Jam can be downloaded for Free.  It also allows users to download a limited amount of genre settings for free, and after that, you must pay circa $2.99 for each extra setting.

So on Monday night, I experimented with the free settings, and I made a few instrumental tracks.

I also uploaded those tracks to Soundcloud, in app for  which users can make their tracks available to the public.


My Soundcloud tracks can be heard at https://soundcloud.com/pablo-the-mad-tiger-warrior

(note:  The URL for the soundcloud page has been edited since the original posting of this blog post)

 

Right now, they're not downloadable, mostly because I haven't set up a record label nor have I contacted any licensing agencies that can help me in case someone wants to use my music for adds or samples.


However, if any of you want to use my music for your advertisements, or you want to sample my instrumental tracks, please contact me at madtiger99@yahoo.com

But yeah, time & circumstances permitting, I might be able to set up a record label (or at get a music licensing deal set up) before the end of 2016!

For now, I'll just focus on making instrumental tracks. Later, I might go back to writing lyrics (haven't done so in years) or even do voice recordings!      Sean Combs, Kanye West and Dr Dre all started out as producers before recording rhymes, so I'll just go with that route for now.



4) My blog

I started this blog to react to this one guy who kept trolling me on the Ka Leo back in 2003. (described on this link)  I still use this blog to expose the scandalous, corrupt people I have dealt with, using their real names in the process.



But I'm NOT all-negative! I do write positive stuff too! 


Earlier this year, I wrote a memorial blog post for a high school classmate who died earlier this year. This was for Aukuso Tuiolemotu, who had a positive spirit!
http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2015/07/in-memory-of-aukuso-tuiolemotu.html


That blog post has been getting the most reads this year. It is #2 of all time.

So if you are a positive person, you could get praised on my blog posts too!


Just another reminder for everyone to stay on my positive side :) 



=================