Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Wallet Drama

Earlier this year, I lost my wallet and had a major scare. That was in May



One Monday morning, as I left my apartment and went to 7-11. While at 7-11, I felt my pockets and .................no wallet! 

I went home ................no wallet!


I was supposed to work at a school that day and had to cancel my work assignment.


The previous night, I was on the UH campus. I remember using the vending machines, so I went to the same vending machine the next morning.................no wallet!

Checked lost & found, called Campus Security................no wallet!

My wallet not only had cash, but my 

  • state ID
  • debit card
  • medical insurance card
  • social security card
  • bike registration
  • bus pass
  • and more
So yeah, I had to call the bank and other agencies.   To get a replacement state ID, I need a social security card, but to get a social security card, I needed a state ID (or a driver license or a passport for which I have NEITHER)

I had to empty my bottles of coins and used Coinstar at Foodland just so I could have cash for the week!

Just when I went back home and feel all miserable, I got a message on my BlackBerry! Someone found my wallet!

The cash was gone but all the cards were still there!

A few lessons 

  • DO NOT PUT ALL YOUR CARDS IN ONE PLACE
  • DO NOT store your state ID and your social security card in the same place
  • If you carry your state ID (or driver's license) in your wallet, DO NOT put your Social Security card there too! Hide your Social Security card somewhere else. Hide it somewhere in your home where burglars will have to struggle to find it! 
  • Also, hide a small stash of cash somewhere in your home, in case you lost your wallet outside. But make sure it's just a SMALL STASH of cash!  Hiding your life savings under the mattress is just another recipe for disaster! 
  • If you don't need to carry certain cards very often, don't leave it in your wallet! Hide them, depending on their importance! 
  • Also, I haven't got around to this, but get a Passport and hide it if you're not traveling. In case you lose your wallet with your state ID, you still have your Passport as photo identification
I'm sure there's more tips, but those are just a few I learned from this experience!