Thursday, October 14, 2021

In Memory of Uncle Michael

 My uncle, Michael Wegesend, died last Friday night (10/08/2021) from leukemia. He was 60 years old.

Uncle Michael



He was the youngest of 8 siblings on my mother's side of the family. 

He was a very generous man even though he didn't have much.  He always had a gift for us, even when we knew he was struggling. 

When I was at UHM, he let me stay in his apartment when school was on break. By that time, my parents moved to the other side of the island and my uncle lived much closer to the campus.  Long story short, I hate long commutes. 

He was also very opinionated (kinda like me), but he could go on & on for hours, whereas most people would just give up and move on to the next topic if they couldn't come to an agreement.  Which was why I was happy to move on to my own apartment in 2003.

He was also like me in that we liked living alone. 

But he also loved spending time with my family and loved babysitting my brother's daughters when they were little. 

He loved watching sports and listening to 70s/80s R&B/soul & Hawaiian music. 

He was devoted to his Catholic faith and attended church every Sunday. 

He was a little late on technology but eventually learned to embrace social media. 

=======

The last time I saw Uncle Michael was in July, when my oldest niece had her graduation party at my parent's home.  He seemed healthy (though he was diagnosed with diabetes years ago) and already got his covid vaccination. 

However, in the last few weeks of his life, he was hospitalized for leukemia. He went through chemotherapy and had a booster shot. But it wasn't enough. 

He passed away on Friday, October 8 circa 11:30 pm. 

There will be no funeral services, and his body will be cremated. 

Rest in peace uncle!