Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Problems at HSL

This was the semester I  was supposed to make big strides in my career track. This was the semester I take an internship within a library to get practical experience.

Being that I want to work in a public library and have experience with children in a school setting, I decided to do my internship at the Hawaii State Library's children section (aka Edna Allyn Room for children aka EAR).  I was already familiar with the librarian Vicky Dworkin from previous class visits and volunteer activities, and have met Tisha Aragaki a few times too.

Behind the scenes,Vicky  Dworkin was a great mentor. As for  Tisha Aragaki, who was my internship supervisor, well..............her public persona is very different from her behind-the-scenes persona!


I explain it all in this following letter to the  Hawaii State Library  director Diane Eddy

(note: the colors were only added for this blog, not in the copy sent to Ms Eddy)
From: Pablo Wegesend
To: Diane Eddy


Dear Diane Eddy,

            I was an intern in the Edna Allyn Room for Children from January 8 to February 10 of this year.   I am not sure if you had any input in the decision to end the internship, but I would like to tell you what happened.
            During the beginning of this internship, I felt like I was in heaven. I felt like I wasn’t just entering a workplace, but a family.  
            However, things started to unravel on Saturday, January 31. On that day, I was doing a reference observation with Tisha Aragaki, who was the internship supervisor. During the reference observation, Tisha claimed that Donna T. (sorry, I forgot her last name) went over the Order-List with me. I told Tisha I don’t remember anything about Donna teaching me about the Order List.  Then Tisha lectured me that I was supposed to be taking notes in the internship and I was supposed to have a notebook. (I already told Tisha on the first day of the internship that I prefer to keep my paperwork in a folder. I’ll go over the notebook vs folder issue later).   Then Tisha went over the Order-List, and yes, it was something unfamiliar to me because Donna didn’t go over that.  So I was being lectured that I didn’t take notes from a lesson that didn’t happen.
            The next day, I checked my internship journal that I stored on Google Drive. It did mention that on January 10, Donna did discuss with me about book review websites as well as print reviews. It mentioned nothing about Donna going over the Order-List.  
            So on February 1 (the day after Tisha lectured me over taking notes from a lesson that didn’t happen), I decided to notified Tisha via e-mail that I rechecked my internship journal and it said nothing about Donna going over the Order-List, and I also told Tisha how I felt about being lectured about “taking notes” from a lesson that never happened.  I felt insulted and falsely accused.
            Now, some might question why I expressed those thoughts on e-mail instead of in person. For one thing, I would have to wait 5 days before I could talk with Tisha in person. Also, I felt that it was better to put it in writing rather than “cause a scene” over this issue.
            Tisha responded in an email sent on February 2, in which she apologized and then stated that

 part of the reason I probably reacted the way I did on Saturday was that I had been troubled by the fact that I recalled making the suggestion to pick up a notebook to keep more thorough notes, and that this hadn't happened.

            On the following day, I did send an email stating that I accepted Tisha’s apology. Then I sent another email stating why I didn’t have a notebook and preferred to keep my papers/notes in a folder. That email only had the following two sentences.

Also, I havent used a notebook since middle school! They usually have too much or not enough paper, and therefore less efficient than just keeping papers in a folder!

            Tisha then sent an email stating that she’s fine with my system of keeping my papers/notes and also stated this.
Let's drop this and continue on, please. 

            I did drop the issue. I did come to work the following day (February 5) and never discussed the issue.

            However, Tisha (who asked me to drop the issue) didn’t drop the issue. She contacted the LIS internship coordinator Dr. Noriko Asato to tell her that she wanted this internship terminated.  I was never given a chance to discuss the issue in person with Tisha or any library administration official.  I believed that had we had a 15-30 minute in-person conversation, this issue would’ve been resolved with no further incidents.
            I had to wait until I could talk to Dr. Asato in person before I was told that this internship will be terminated. I wasn’t able to meet Dr. Asato in person until February 11. So that meant that I was still at the internship 3 times after my notebook/folder email. Those dates were February 5, 7, and 10.  I had no conflicts on those days nor do I know of any complaints about me related to those dates.  So Tisha had 3 chances (after contacting Dr. Asato) to see me in action and to notice that I am deserving of a second chance.  I was observed doing storytimes and I had my first solo reference shift within those 3 dates and I know of no complaints during those activities.
            Dr. Asato mentioned that Tisha said the other staff members are uncomfortable with me, but she didn’t give me any specifics. I was surprised to hear about it because I never had any conflicts with any library staff member (except Tisha) and I have never acted inappropriately with any staff member. All my conversations with the other staff members were civil and I always kept my hands to myself.  I felt that Tisha was acting like the equivalent of a kid who tells another kid  “nobody else likes you”, not as a factual statement, but as a way to make the other kid look bad.  Also, if there were any complaints about me from other staff members, why wasn’t I given an opportunity to talk about it, either with them or with a library administrator?
            Dr. Asato has been trying to get other libraries to allow to finish my remaining internship hours at their location. One librarian she contacted was Ms. LePage at Kaimuki Public Library. According to an email sent to Dr. Asato, Ms. LePage said that Tisha told her she doesn’t believe I should work with children.
            Again, I know of no complaints about my interactions with children during my internship. If there was, why wasn’t I given an opportunity to talk about it, either with them [blog note: I should've taken out "either with them" in the letter] or with a library administrator?  Also, Tisha telling people she “doesn’t believe I should work with children” gives off this mental image that I’m some type of child abuser or pedophile.  That is not who I am. 
            I have worked as a substitute teacher for the last 10 years. At least 3 elementary schools have staff members who contact me personally on a normal basis to work at their schools. I even have text messages on my phone from teachers asking me to work for their class when they need to take a day off.  Some of those teachers have aides who tell them that I work well with the students.  Also, I have passed every background check. 
            I know this letter is putting you in an awkward position where you feel pressured to over-rule a section manager. I understand some managers don’t want to second-guess the decisions of lower-level managers.  However, I don’t think I was treated fairly by Tisha. While that notebook/folder email came at what might seem like bad timing, and that the email sounds a bit defensive. It was an informative email that was never meant to offend but I understand why it sounded defensive and I understand the timing of the timing wasn’t the best timing. However, I don’t think it should’ve been a “firing” offense.
            I am requesting to have an in-person meeting with you or any other library administrator about this issue. If you need to have the LIS internship coordinator at the meeting, I will notify her.  I am also requesting that my internship be re-instated, preferably within EAR,  though I am also willing to work in any other section of the Hawai‘i State Library.  Again, I understand these requests are placing you in an awkward position. I believe I deserve a second chance.

            If you are willing to meet with me, you may contact me at [contact info deleted]


Ms Eddy didn't meet with me (yet).


And to Tisha Aragaki, you say I shouldn't working with children? What is your evidence? Nothing?


As I mentioned in the letter, I have been working as a substitute teacher for 10 years. Some of the school staff seen me in action much over a much longer time than Tisha ever did! 

In other words, people with much more credibility than Tisha Aragaki have a different opinion when it comes to suitability to work with children! 



And if other co-workers are really uncomfortable with me, then why was it, that after I was released from my internship, that Vicky Dworkin surprised me with a greeting while I was looking at the computer at Hamilton Library? If she was really uncomfortable with me, she would've rushed past me hoping I wouldn't notice!




Tisha Aragaki, you want to say damaging stuff behind my back, you might as well explain yourself in person, where I can respond and question you!  Don't worry, I won't bite!


============



Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking  -- "why are you putting this on your blog? Don't you realize it will hurt your career?"

I heard those questions already!

I refuse to be a coward in this situation!

I stand up for what's right!

I refuse to be silent when others are trying to damage my reputation!  Especially when they say stuff to potential employers who aren't aware that they're being trolled to


(note: those who say "who cares what they say about you" are just repeating BS cliches!
(note #2 : what Tisha is doing is FAR FAR FAR BEYOND this usual middle school rumor mongering that most of us has outgrown! What she is doing is unprofessional, and this blog post doesn't even come close to going down to her level of immaturity!

I am willing to put my career at risk to stand up to people like Tisha Aragaki and other bully employers who will continue to do what they do unless they are   exposed to the light!

This isn't the first time I put my career at risk with my blog posts. I exposed bully managers, bully co-workers and bully classmates on my blog! Bullies usually do so expecting their victims to be silent! I refuse to give bullies the satisfaction of having me being silent!


Before people get the idea that I'm some kind of combative guy, let it be known that I have been getting along with most of my work colleagues and for those who I had minor conflicts with .... I have settled most of those conflicts in private without further incident!


I have great working relationships in the schools I've subbed at! (I got text messages from teachers begging me to sub in their class, as proof! ) 

I have great working relationships at the libraries I worked at in the past!  (Just ask anyone at LBPH!)

I have great working relationships with many professors in the Library and Information Science program! (Just ask my academic advisors! As well as professors who have already written Letters of Recommendations! ) 

----


I have another semester to do another internship!  Whether those internship supervisors might see this, I don't know! But if you are one, I can promise you that I have a great work ethic, always give my best effort in serving my customers, and I am willing to listen to input! I can also promise you that if you are a great supervisor, you will be publicly praised on my blog!

-------

 And one more thing: this blog post wasn't endorsed by the LIS program. In fact, a few LIS staff members advised against it! I reminded them that I have allies in the Graduate Student Organization (GSO) who won't take kindly to students being silenced by university staff members! I also reminded them that I could easily post flyers on campus, and speak at forums about any attempts to silence student! I also reminded them that the Legislature are considering bills related to university student rights and that I can submit testimony! The LIS Program backed down since they now KNOW that they can't stop me from posting this blog post!  They just have to live with the sadness that I go public with things!




BONUS PICS:

Here's a picture of Tisha Aragaki for which that I own all copyrights! 




Here are some funny annotations of that photo!


Hi, I'm Tisha Aragaki, I can't handle it when people treat me like I treat them.



she shouldn't be working with children
 Hey Tisha Aragaki, now you know it feels to have that said about you!

Tisha Argaki makes people uncomfortable, and the elephant isn't comfortable either
Hey Tisha Aragaki, now you know it feels to have that said about you!


don't ask her for 2nd chances, even if your "sins" are extremely minor

Tisha Aragaki talks down to interns




Got a problem with her? instead of discussing it with you, she'll spread false innuendos about you behind your back instead!

spreads false innuendos about people, refuses to discuss the issue after it happened

Tisha Aragaki tells you "Lets' drop this an continue on, please", but doesn't practice what she preaches

Tisha Aragaki doesn't believe in the Ho'oponopono process

Yeah, Tisha Aragaki you dummy, had you tried Hoʻoponopono with me (and trusted elders to help). this blog post and my memes wouldn't have existed! 





So, Tisha Aragaki, is this how you want to be known?



This is what happens to corrupt officials who say stupid things to me and about me! You should have seen this coming!