Friday, July 11, 2014

The Need for Peace and Quiet



In a person's lifespan, one can go from being a child that can't handle loud noise to a teenager that likes loud noise,  to an adult who gets irritated by noise!


I still like big stereos, block parties and nightclubs. 



But jackhammers, leaf blowers, car alarms, lawn mowers, construction machines and anything that pounds irritate the living stuff out of me!

This summer, I'm spending a lot of time at the UH-Manoa campus.

Most of the time, at the libraries, which are  quiet as they should be.

But after a few hours of reading or looking at screens, I want fresh air.

Problem is, there are several renovation projects going on at UH-Manoa during the daytime, making it hard to find a place that has fresh air and peace & quiet.

And even in areas that are far from the renovation projects, just when I think I'm safe .....................................the leaf blowers and lawn mowers are making noise.


I think leaf blowers are over-rated. Can't the workers just use a push broom?


----------------------------

Just the other day, I was outside Aina Haina Public Library waiting for it to be open, so I can do a library setting observation assignment and a library program observation assignment. Problem was, while I was waiting outside,someone was using a generator-powered pressurized water hose was on the ground in front of the soon-to-be-opened Starbucks. The generator was loud and irritating as hell!   I had to go to the opposite side of Aina Haina Shopping Center be away from the noise until the library was opened.

Later on that day, when I finally went home, I called my mom (first time this month) and during the phone conversation, I heard a car alarm. Some guy trying to fix his car outside and his alarm was going off!  I was annoyed as hell!

Happiness returned when that guy got his car out of there!
--------------------

Don't misunderstand me, I recognize the importance of construction, renovation, road repairs and other noisy projects going on!



However, I really hope the next wave of manufacturing technology will be quieter construction and other machines!