Tuesday, July 04, 2023

20 years at my apartment (2 decades of independence)

 20 years ago this month, I moved into the apartment I'm still living in. 

10 years ago, I wrote a blog post "one decade in my apartment"             https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/07/one-decade-in-my-apartment.html


So now it's 20 years! 

I'm grateful to have 2 decades of residential stability. 

2 decades without having to worry about moving all my items to a different residence. 2 decades without having to worry about notifying all my bill collectors about the change of address. 

2 decades of some level of consistency in my life.

2 decades in a great location easily accessible to several bus routes.

2 decades in a great location near many of places I like to go.

2 decades of living independently.

2 decades of privacy. 

2 decades of me running my own private life. 


However, those 2 decades aren't without their challenges, and there's no guarantee of having a 3 decade anniversary in the same place.

For one, the rent has increased dramatically over the years.

Even worse with the building getting old and needing repairs.

There have been rumors that this building will eventually be condemned. 

The building's concrete has been spalling, and there have been promises to get that repaired. Still waiting. 

A few months ago, the pipes in the laundry room had to be repaired. 

Also, the parking lot needs repaving. 

And just the other day, I contacted the property manager about the intercom not working. 

I don't know where I'll be living a decade from now (or even if I'll be living a decade from now).

But for today, I'm celebrating 2 decades of living independently in the same apartment.