Friday, December 24, 2021

Why I love Christmas

 Back in 2018, I wrote a blog post titled "Learn to celebrate stuff, dammit!"

https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2018/05/learn-to-celebrate-stuff-dammit.html

here's a snippet from that post

It's not healthy to be cynical about celebrations all the time!

 We have plenty of time (and reasons) to be angry and cynical about the world!

 At least set aside some time to celebrate events, ceremonies or even just to enjoy the things that bring us joys!

Celebrating stuff will wonders for your mental health!

So when your next birthday happens, CELEBRATE IT!

When the next holiday happens, CELEBRATE IT!

When the next special event happens, CELEBRATE IT!

Children understand it, why can't adults do the same?


But yet, this year, there's another series of party-poopers who express their dislike of Christmas

https://www.ctinsider.com/opinion/article/Opinion-Why-I-hate-Christmas-16614264.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/12/12/why-brian-broome-hates-christmas/


But instead of going point-by-point debating with those people, let me explain why I love Christmas.

Basically, I love festivities!

I love the exchange of presents!

I love the Santa hats!

I love making Christmas cards!

I love the Christmas trees!

I love the Christmas music!

(Honolulu radio station KSSK plays only Christmas music between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even though I'm more of a KUMU fan the rest of the year, my radio is tuned to KSSK during the holiday season!)

And the thing is, being in Hawaii, I never experienced the snow mentioned in so many Christmas songs. 

But then again, Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ, who also doesn't experience snow as he is from Israel/Palestine. 

Yes, baby Jesus is the reason for the season. But you don't have to be a practicing Christian to love the Christmas season.  Plus, a lot of the Christmas rituals are appropriations from many other religions and cultures. :) 

--------------

And as being the youngest of my siblings, I always had the honor of passing the presents from the Christmas tree to whomever the present is labeled for. I still do that most Christmases, though sometimes, my nieces take that honor. 

And even though I haven't been the most family-oriented person out there (long story short, a lot of life happened), I still value time with my family on Christmas day.

And it is also college bowl season, and we usually have a good talk about how the UH football team has done this season.  [average this year: lots of drama w/the coach, bowl game canceled due to the virus]


And of course, I love the food.

(note to self: find time to burn those calories)


You don't need to have a perfect life to love Christmas!

My life sure isn't perfect. I had tons of heartbreaks, traumas, depressions, alienations, financial hardships, you name it.

But life also has the simple joys that can make you smile! 

Christmas gives me those simple joys that make me smile! 


Merry Christmas :)

🎄🎅✝