Sunday, November 14, 2021

in memory of my dentist Dr Clifford Park

For many people, going to the dentist can be very intimidating. Someone is doing something to your teeth with equipment while you can't speak. 

But it wasn't intimidating with Dr. Clifford Park. He puts you at ease, tells you what he is going to do, and kindly explains the situation to you.  Even if it means him encouraging you to drink less sugary drinks. 

I became Dr. Park's client because he was my parent's dentist. In fact, sometimes I meet my parents at his office because we would sometimes have appointments the same day. 

My mother met him before I was born when she was a client of another Dr. Park who was retiring and referred her to Clifford Park.  Both my mom and Dr. Clifford Park shared a collective trauma from a pediatric dentist who used to work at Palama Settlement who had horrible attitude toward the kids he worked with.  From that trauma, Dr. Park set out to be a better dentist for his clients.

When it was my turn to see Dr. Park, he would sometimes to talk to me about the letters I have written to the local newspaper or he would ask me about my adventures as a substitute teacher. 

The last time I saw Dr. Park was in August of this year. I had an appointment with him the same day as my parents.  He seemed very healthy.

So it was a shock when I got a letter in the mail saying that he had passed away, The letter didn't state the cause of death.

The letter did promise some sort of transition to a new dentist, but that is still in the works. My next scheduled appointment is this coming February. Hopefully, by then, arrangements can be made for me to have a dentist as great as Dr. Clifford Park.

Rest in peace Dr. Park!