Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Did I contradict myself on de-platforming & cancelling

 Earlier this month, I had a blog post about de-platforming people from social media

https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2021/02/on-de-platforming-social-media-users.html

one of my quotes from the blog post

As for me personally, I'd rather not advocate de-platforming anyone. I want the voices of others (especially the voices I hate) to be available so that we can keep track of them. 

and

So I say let the bad guys talk on social media. Censoring them isn't going to make them go away! 

And more importantly, the solution to bad uses of speech is to make good use of speech.

Deplatforming is a lazy way to act like your opponents don't exist! It "protects" you from actually working on your talking points! 



But wait a minute, a few months earlier, I advocated that 98.5  fire the Wake-Up Crew for their repulsive humor


https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2020/11/fire-985-wake-up-crew.html

For too long, the people of Hawaii have been too silent about these Wake Up Crew jerks because they're afraid of being accused of "not being able to take a joke"!


I say that 98.5 should fire the Wake Up Crew!


and

To anyone who responds by saying "free speech" and "cancel culture", if I acted the same way these Wake Up Crew jerks act at any job I ever had, I would've been fired!

"Free speech" only means you can't be jailed for expressing your opinions. "Free speech" doesn't mean you're entitled to a job! 


So why the mixed messages from me?  


Because I want repulsive scum like the Wake Up Crew to lose their lucrative corporate sponsorships and turn them into broke losers whose social media following is too small to be major influences but still have the space to self-destruct in public view.  I want them to be broke but still be spied upon!


With their radio show, Wake Up Crew had the reach to be heard when people walk into gas stations playing their show in the background. Just imagine stopping by to refill your gas tank or to even buy some snacks and hearing that garbage in the background. You just went to get out of there ASAP!   But off the radio, their voices are pushed into the fringe, gas stations are playing something else in the background. 

I'm sure the same situation gets played millions of times throughout the continental USA where right-wing radio is more popular, with people wanting to get the hell out of the gas stations that might be playing this pro-Trump nonsense in the background. 


And also this:  with having their radio show, the Wake Up Crew felt emboldened to spew their repulsive jokes about the homeless, disabled and ethnic groups. But without their radio show, they can't get paid for such garbage. They can talk all the crap on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram but it brings in no money. So now they have come to the crossroads: they can continue to make their jokes to a dwindling audience or they can wise up, grow up and be more cognizant of what they say on social media.  With their being fired from the radio show, they're more careful on social media without being de-platformed there! 


So yeah, I'll fire the bigots from radio, TV & other profitable venues, but let them be spied on social media where they'll just be another sad, broke chumps with no real influence beyond their inner circle!