Wednesday, May 30, 2018

stop taunting your enemies based on physical features

I have just posted this very important message on facebook, in response to a Reason.com article on Roseanne Barr and Bill Maher

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/30/roseanne-cancellation-snags-bill-maher


here is my facebook post





IF someone irritates you, it's so easy to give in to temptation to mock how that person looks. I know I've done it before. (usually behind their backs <<< so much for bravery). We've seen it happen many times, from when 2pac taunted Biggie for being fat, Bill Maher taunted Donald Trump for looking like an orangutan, and now Roseanne Barr mocking Valerie Jarrett for looking like an ape!

As mature adults, we need to be better than that!

The problem with taunting someone's looks is that you are also taunting those who look like that other person through no fault of their own. Just like how it's already commonly known it's wrong to respond to an irritating person with racial slurs (because you are insulting everyone else of that race), we also should just not make insulting comments about the other person's physical features (because you are insulting everyone else with those physical features)!

If you don't like someone, just focus your comments on that person's content of character!




==============


Those who remember from when I started this blog (late 2003, wow, almost 15 years)  would remember I started this blog in response to a student troll and a rude professor at UH-Manoa.

Some of my comments in my earliest blog posts mocked their physical features, including their height, weight and shape of face. I have compared both to cartoon characters of different species! 

I have taken down those comments years ago!


Those comments about their physical features were totally uncalled for, insulting them on things they cannot change about themselves, whereas I should've focused on the things they can change about themselves (ie. their attitude, the way they treated me).

as I said in the 2013 post titled "1 decade anniversary of this blog" 
https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/10/1-decade-anniversary-of-this-blog.html

My only regret was mocking their physical appearances, which unintentionally targets those who might look like them, plus it distracts from my criticism of their attitudes.


I should go further than just expressing regret!

I truly apologize for my comments mocking their appearance.

I don't do this expecting forgiveness from them. 

I do this to let them know that I now understand that I went too far and I shouldn't have mocked their appearance.


 I also want to set an example for others that even someone annoys you, you shouldn't respond by mocking that person's physical appearance! Be better than that!