Tuesday, May 16, 2017

In memory of Melissa Santos

A few weeks ago, a former co-worker died.

Her name was Melissa Santos. 

She was my co-worker at a temp job I had last summer. 

That temp job involved the printing, inspecting and organizing ballots that would be used for the 2016 Primary Election. 

Me & Melissa would sometimes talk while waiting in the worker's lounge before the workday or during other breaks as well. We would also see each other on the bus.

I remember that we were about the same age (off by a year or two), and that we were both from Kalihi. But because of the school district lines, we went to different schools. She went to Farrington High School (where most Kalihi kids go) whereas I went to McKinley High School  (because I lived about a block away from the district's border). 

She also mentioned that her kids go to Aiea High School  and how awkward it was to cheer against her alma mater because her kids are going to a different school than she did!  Another Farrington grad mentioned that his kids are going to Roosevelt High School  so he could relate.   I don't have any kids, but I did joke that it would be awkward to cheer against your kids if your alma mater's team could give your kid a concussion. 

We did share a few more stories too, about different jobs we had, and more!

Then our temp positions were over after about 2 months.

But we did keep in touch on facebook.

She did thank me a few times about some articles I shared on facebook. That was cool.

=============

Sadly, I heard from her husband that she has passed away. He didn't announce the cause of her death (or if he did, I didn't see it), and I really don't want to ask. Some people who are grieving may not be ready to mention details so I'll respect their privacy.