Saturday, March 25, 2017

like shaming

(note: the following was from a facebook post)

Apparently, there's this new thing called  "like shaming" where people are lectured over not clicking the "like" icon on facebook posts, lectured with accusations of "not caring about the issues", "not showing enough sympathy" or even "only (insert gender, race, etc) liked the post, nobody else cared"!

I'm sorry, but you're not entitled to a "like" for every post! In many cases, I might sympathize with the issue, but didn't press the "like" icon because I disagree with maybe 10%, or disagree with the tone it was said. Or I haven't yet developed a coherent philosophy on the issue! If "likes" are so important to you, then adjust your message. or better yet, stop worrying about how many "likes" your post gets. It's more important to plant of seed of thought that might grow in the other person's mind than to get the instant gratification you get from a "like" Guilt tripping people for "likes" is not going to work



of course, that post got some laughter and jokes about "liking" my post 

and I got this amazing response from one of my facebook friends

This is totally my experience too, Pablo. I often don't click like  if there is something tainting the rest of the message. Like how I won't drink a cup of clean water if there's a little dirty water added. I don't want to support the part I don't like. 

and this 

 I agree with your points and I think that the undecided or 10% not in or in agreement with is a big factor, as you say, but the other scary new corollary is all the self-censorship - people not clicking "like" even when they want to because they are afraid of how others might view their "like" of something... so many witch hunts these days.