Sunday, March 05, 2017

In memory of Donnie Alporque

March 2, my former co-worker Donnie Alporque passed away


Here's what I posted on facebook that day









The guy in the hat is Donnie Alporque, who was working at Ala Moana's Macy's the first time I was working there! He did my interview and got me hired! He was a very helpful person who was very uplifting even when I made a mistake. Also, he had a great sense of humor!

It has come to my attention that he has passed away earlier this morning! Rest in peace my friend!




As the above statement said, I first met Donnie at a job interview at Ala Moana Macy's!

That was during the summer of 2011.

I had previous Macy's work experience at Kahala Mall during the holiday season of 2010! I was a seasonal hire as recovery associate (folding clothes, re-organizing the items on the selling floor).  However, that was only a seasonal job.

Around the same time, I was working for the DOE as both a para-professional tutor at Niu Valley Middle School (NVMS), and as a substitute teacher.

However, at the end of the school year, I got laid off from NVMS, and there wasn't any substitute teaching work during the summer.  

So I decided to search for a job with Macy's  since I had some familiarity with the company.

However, there were no recovery associate positions available outside of the holiday season. 

So I had to settle for a sales associate position.

When I interviewed with Donnie, it seemed like we connected very well. He was able to put me at ease, and he had a sense of humor about my discussions about my previous work experience at the other Macy's. 

After my interview, he told me, he'll call back later that day.

SO I decided to take a walk around Ala Moana Shopping Center. After a half-hour, I took out my flip-phone and noticed a message. It was Donnie telling me I was hired.   I was going to be a sales associate at the home textiles section. 

His main position was in men's shoes, which was on a different floor, so we didn't see each other everyday. But he would occasionally stop by and check on my progress.

He was also really chill when I made an error at the cash register. He just showed me what to do in the same situation the next time it happens, and says "it's alright, everyone made mistakes".

He was epitome of the Magic of Macy's

I would've loved to work with him forever!

However, only a few months after I was hired, Donnie moved to a different Macy's, that one being in Kailua (that one shut down a few years later)

As for my progress as a sales associate, it didn't last that long. When the 2011 holiday season came up, I decided to switch away from the sales associate position to the recovery associate position (same position I had the previous holiday season at Kahala Macy's). Long story short, I liked the recovery associate position better. 

After that holiday season, I was laid off from Macy's, though I did come back for the holiday seasons for the  2012 (sales) and 2013 (recovery).  After that, I had other things going on!

I did see Donnie visit Ala Moana Macy's a few times after he switch stories, and it was like meeting an old friend. 

I also found him on facebook. He did share his joys, though he did share something personal: he came out of the closet to his family. Many people (including me) told him that we still respected him, that him being LGBT didn't bother us. He did admit that he was overwhelmed by the assurances by his facebook friends, and he admitted that he wasn't accustomed to being praised because  for a long time, he had self-esteem issues partly because of the stigma of being LGBT! I actually had tears in my eyes reading that because based on my interactions with him, he had a lot to be proud of, a lot of reasons he should be having high self-esteem.

Also, reading that made me feel guilty for saying negative things about homosexuality when I was younger. By the time I met Donnie, I was already a supporter of LGBT rights so he never heard me say those negative things I used to say. But still, I felt guilty for making negative and inappropriate remarks about people like him before I met him. 


I did see a video of the Donnie being part of the Gay Men's Choir singing spiritual songs, and I was happy that he finally felt like he belonged, that he found a refuge where he didn't have to feel ashamed about his sexual orientation. 

---------------

More recently, I heard news that Donnie  suffered a stroke and was in a coma. He was at Straub Medical Center.  I didn't know how much time he had left, but I decided to write a letter to his family and visit the hospital. I wasn't sure if I was going to allowed to visit his room there, but I decided to stop by. If I wasn't allowed to visit, I would've just left it at the nurse's desk.

When I found the room, I asked the woman standing outside if this was Donnie's room. She said yes, but also wait a few minutes, as the doctors were inside. After a few minutes, we went in. That woman was his sister, and I gave her my letter to my family.  We discussed our memories with Donnie. I told her about my time with him at Macy's, and his generous and humorous spirit.

Donnie was in a coma and relied on an oxygen tube. It was so heartbreaking to see a formerly active guy in that condition. His sister suggested that I talk to him even though he was in that condition.  I did say a last few words to him and thanked him for being in my life even if only for a brief time. 

After words, I posted this on facebook.




Donnie Alporque was one of my favorite people to work with when I was at Macy's. He recently had a stroke and is intensive care. I just visited him and talked to one of his relatives as we reflected on his life! It was sad to see a once lively man in the condition he in now :'(

A few days later, he passed away!

Thank you Donnie for being a great influence in my life. I hope to meet you again in the afterlife