Thursday, July 17, 2014

In memory of Dwayne Torres

Dwayne Torres was my classmate at UH-Manoa during my undergraduate years.

I first met his older brother William when I was working at the UH dorms back in 2000. Then one time, Dwayne came by to visit.

Later, in Spring 2002, I had Dwayne in my class for  Sociology 300 (Principles of Sociological Inquiry)  which was  research methods course required for all sociology majors.

I had a group project with him, Christine and Pasesa.

 Sometime during that group project, Dwayne was absent for a few weeks. He later came back to class. He said he was gone because he was in the process of signing up to join the military.  He said he was doing so, in hopes of being better able to finance his college education.

At least during the time we did the project, Dwayne did help me in making my survey questions easier for other student to understand :)

After that semester, I lost contact with him. 

Fast forward 12 years to this year.  Dwayne was in the National Guard doing a physical test when he fainted and later died.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20140601_Soldier_who_died_after_fitness_test_was_Ewa_Beach_man_32.html?id=261470231 

The Hawaii Army National Guard soldier who died Friday after performing the Army physical fitness test has been identified as Dwayne Torres, 32, of Ewa Beach. 
Torres fainted while taking the physical test, was treated by an on-scene medic, and then transported to Wahiawa General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead around 7 a.m., according to the National Guard.
He was on active duty, meaning he worked full-time for the National Guard, and was a member of the Recruiting and Retention Battalion. 
The cause of death has not yet been determined.

I found out from a high school classmate who knew Dwayne from their time in the National Guard.


screenshot from KHON2 news report
http://khon2.com/2014/05/30/hawaii-army-national-guard-soldier-collapses-dies-during-physical-test/
Dwayne Torres