Thursday, May 15, 2014

Dont lock the bathrooms during a blackout

But that's exactly what happened at UH-Manoa's Campus Center and Hemmenway Hall during today's blackout (circa 11am).


Here's what I sent to the UH Chancellor Tom Apple


Dear Chancellor Apple,

During today's blackout, I was in the Campus Center Dining Room. I finished my meal then went to use the bathrooms. They were locked. Since I was already planning to go to Sinclair Library, I stopped by Hemenway Hall to use their 1st floor bathroom. Right after I went in, I heard staff members saying they will shut down the bathrooms.

Look, this was during lunchtime. There are many people around Campus Center and Hemmenway at that time. Being that some people might've finished their lunch, there could be people have to use the bathroom really,really,really bad. Yet, the bathrooms are locked!

The usual response to such complaints are that "this is done for safety." I don't know what is safe about scrambling from building to building to find an open bathroom when you really, really got to go! That is the opposite of safe.

Just because the electricity is shut down, doesn't mean our bodily functions shut down.