Friday, January 04, 2013

new year's resolution

A new year is usually a time for people to reflect on what they accomplished so far, and what they need to accomplish in the near future.


But in my case, as is for many other people, life altering decisions tend to be made in a different time of the year.


But for the sake of this New Year's blog, I'll just say that I'll be continuing on some goals from last year


1) more attention on home maintenance.

As I mentioned in previous blogs, my apartment had a makeover, mostly through throwing out  a bunch of paper collections, re-organizing the stuff I have kept and be more mindful of what I have in storage. I also threw out a bed frame!

http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-apartment-gets-make-over.html
Well, my year ended with the bathtub face plate broken   :(

Chrome Bathtub Overflow Face Plate
Bathtub face plate

And my new year started with my father coming in do repairs on the bathtub face plate, as well as replacing some filters in my toilet. :)

So yep, my new year's started with focus on home maintenance.

A greater focus on home maintenance may not be so unusual for some people. For example, my mom and grandma are like Martha Stewart. My dad is a carpenter, and therefore, an expert on home improvement.  Housekeeping is their hobby!

I inherited NONE of those tendencies. Me, I have just tended to view my home as a place to sleep and storage space.

Me, I don't even like to stay in my home during the day-time, even on days when I'm not even working. 

By the time I come home at night, I just feel like eating dinner, rest and go to sleep.

I have tended to procastinate in my own housekeeping. Or as the titled of a controversial book in Mexico goes, my atttitude in housekeeping has been "mañana forever".

Well, mañana (español for tommorrow) is going out the window!

Though I'm busy with work (and side jobs), outside recreation, internet use (this blog included) and now grad school (more on that later),  I will have to use my time wisely in making sure this "mañana forever" attitude in housekeeping stays in the trash can!


2) Keep exercising

Around September 2000 (in my college sophomore year) I have made a major decision that helped me lose weight.

I stopped eating 3 big meals a day! Why eat so many calories if you're not going to use them?

Eventually, I also did more bike riding and walking.

I went from 220 pounds to 170 pounds.  I'm currently about 180 pounds.

As I'm getting older, my metabolism will likely slow down.

Time to keep up my time in the YMCA, as well as bike riding and walking! And start reducing my junk food (and reduce my rice on the plate).

Note to self: resist this more often!

3) Grad school and work.

I'm back to school, as a UH grad student majoring in Library and Information Science (LIS).


I'm still working as a sub teacher. However, I'm almost done with my time as a seasonal worker at Macy's.

I'll have to manage my time wisely so that I can pass my classes, as well as stay employed, fit and sane!

Good luck to myself in 2013!