Monday, October 20, 2008

28 years of life

That's how long I was living last Wednesday. Only now, 5 days later, am I blogging on it , due to time constraints.

1) my older brother called me and jokingly called me an "old man".

So much ironies.

He's only 4 years older than me, but he is balding! That gave me motivation to grow my hair longer over the last year, because I get the feeling I'm going to be loosing my hair soon.

I got my hair in a ponytail right now. I thought about braids, but I wonder if showing up to work with braids would be a good idea!

My father is 56 years old, but lost no hair. He claims that it's because he just use regular soap instead of shampoo!

But I think it has more to do with genetics. Some scientists say the "balding gene" comes from the mother's side.

My father's mother is of Zapotec ancestry (a native Mexican group common in my father's birth-state of Oaxaca). My father's father is of Spanish ancestry, really white-skinned, and has lot's of body hair.

Whereas in my mother's side of the family, has more European DNA (German, Portuguese, Spanish). While my mother is "50% Puerto Rican", it seems to be a mix of Spanish and indigenous Puerto Rican.

And all my uncles in my mom's side got balded heads, and body hair!

So I'm growing my hair in my final years of having hair on my head.

I just wish my body hairs would bald a lot faster!

2) Another sign I'm getting old.

Watching a teenage rapper (Soulja Boy) mocking a rap veteran (Ice-T) as "being so old, you were born before the Internet was invented"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr8B2dnIvR4&feature=related

That was the 1st time I heard anything like that!

Soon, all the young kids would be mocking my generation (& older) like that!

The Internet became a popular thing back around 1996. I was in high school back then!

But now, those who are in school are getting Internet lessons in elementary school, and some were surprised that I mentioned how relatively new the Internet is! I even told them "if you take someone who died in 1990, bring that person back to life, and just tell him to do Internet search, that person would not know what to do!"

3) Recently, I've really spend a lot of time listening to the funk music group Zapp!

Zapp had a lead singer by the name of Roger Troutman. Troutman passed away in 1999!

His use of a talkbox has inspired current vocalists like Lil Wayne, T-Pain, Snoop Dogg and Kanye West!

But what got my attention back in the 1990's was that Zapp's music was constantly sampled by West Coast rap artists! It was the sound heard out of lowriders, ghetto house parties, and picnics! It was the sound of fun, even in the most dangerous neighborhoods!

Zapp had a song that basically predicted the future!

That song was called "Computer Love" and it came out in 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAJe7HNN44

In 1986, computers were mostly used to type papers and play video games. That was it! There was NO myspace, NO facebook, NO online dating websites! There was NO i-tunes, NO Napster, NO watching movies online, NO online music sharing! The Internet was still in the process of being invented. It wasn't in middle class homes, nor was it accessible in public libraries! Almost no one in America had access to e-mail. People had cell phones, but there were NOT the kind that can easily fit into pockets like the ones today! There were no "ringtones", it had no "memory", it couldn't take photos, it was used for calling and that was IT!

Yet, Roger Troutman was singing about finding his sweetheart on the computer, seeing her face on a computer screen!

Roger Troutman would be amazed by how his futuristic fantasy came true if he came back to life today!