Friday, July 01, 2005

Reverend Graham endorsing the Clintons?


Reverend Billy Graham, a famous evangelists, had what is possibly his last speech (he is aging and in ill health) in New York City.

At the speech was ex-Prez Bill Clinton and his wife (and possible Presidential candidate in 2008) Hillary Clinton.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45083

Dr. Graham said, "I told President Clinton that when he left office, he should be an evangelist because he has all the right gifts for it, and he should leave his wife to run the country."

The way I interpret that statement, Graham was probably joking with Bill Clinton. I mean people like to joke with each other by saying "you should be president" or "you should be a star".

In fact, at my job, one of the senior staff members joked to one my colleagues (who is still in college) that she should be in charge of the entire program next year. Everyone in the room know it was friendly joke.

Back to Graham, he noticed that Clinton has the gifts of speaking to audiences, so Graham joked to Clinton that he should be a preacher. Being that Hillary has political aspirations, he joked that she should be president.

Yet, Reverend Rob Schenck couldn't get the joke.

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't leave in a huff. I was more in a daze. I couldn't believe that I had just witnessed the Clintons manipulate their way to a quasi endorsement by the leading evangelical of the last half-century. It was shameless exploitation of a sacred platform by the most powerful, cunning and recklessly ambitious political duo in American history.

Nevermind that Graham had friendly relations with a lot of Presidents, both Democrat and Republican. He had invitations to the White House from Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, the Bushes and Clinton.

So I doubt Graham was making an explicit endorsement at his last speech in New York