Saturday, July 09, 2005

I was Right - Reverend Bill Graham was just joking!

On my 7/1/05 post on Reverend Billy Graham, I mentioned that some conservatives were upset that Graham said the following

"I told President Clinton that when he left office, he should be an evangelist because he has all the right gifts for it, and he should leave his wife to run the country."

I mentioned that I think Graham was just joking with Bill Clinton, not making an explicit endorsement for Hillary Clinton as President.

I was right!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/1/101106.shtml

Rev. Billy Graham said Friday that he didn't intend to endorse Hillary Clinton for president when he told her husband at a massive New York City revival meeting last weekend that she should "run the country."

His son Franklin Graham, who heads the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, tells the Charlotte Observer:"For a long time, my father has refrained from endorsing political candidates and he certainly did not intend for his comments to be an endorsement for Senator Hillary Clinton."

"My father, of course, was joking," the younger Graham said, when he hosted the Clintons onstage and told the crowd of 90,000. "They're a great couple... He should be an evangelist because he has all the gifts and he could leave his wife to run the country."

Although Billy Graham has called himself a Democrat, Franklin said that didn't mean he supported the former president, saying, "His political views, as well as mine, are quite different than the Clintons." The Clintons, however "remain good friends," he added.