Saturday, February 26, 2005

UH Ban on Alcohol proposed

There is a proposal to ban alcohol on the University of Hawaii campus and it's sports games.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Feb/25/ln/ln05p.html

I know what I'm about to say isn't popular - but here I go - I think it's good not to sell alcohol at stadiums. I dont go to games to be around drunks, I go to games to see action on the field or the court.

At Aloha Stadium, at UH football games, there are women working for beer companies giving free samples of beer.

Just imagine someone giving free samples of marijuana or crystal meth at the stadium. That person is going to face prison time. But yet it's considered OK to give free sample of beer at a game?

So I think UH should go right ahead in banning alcohol at it's athletic and entertainment events.

As for dormitories, I think the policy of having substance-free dorms is good in keeping those serious about school away from boneheads who want to get drunk.

Sometimes I wonder how those drunk boneheads get into college in the first place? I'm serious! People who acted like that at my high school dropped out of high student or just barely graduated. Most of those who were the college prep types didn't act like those drunk boneheads at college dorms. So I'm wondering where did those drunk boneheads at the dorms come from?

However, I fear that if beer is banned at all dorms, then at every dorm building, people will break the rules & get drunk. So I think having substance-free dorms & "drunk dorms" is the lesser of all evils.