Tuesday, February 08, 2005

More on Hawaii's Campus and Race Wars

Yesterday at Nanakuli High School, there was a riot on campus, with the police intervening.


http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Feb/08/ln/ln01p.html

Meanwhile, Honolulu Advertiser had an article dealing with school conflicts in general.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Feb/08/il/il01a.html

The above article talks about Campbell High School (in Ewa Beach, made up mostly local Filipinos, Polynesians, and a few African Americans) which there is mixed comments on the school's racial climate, Kaiser High School (in mega-rich community Hawaii Kai) and Leilehua High School ( in Wahiawa) a school like Radford, has a mix of local students and military dependents.

What that article FAILED TO INVESTIGATE was the climate in urban Honolulu public schools, with it's LARGE number of immigrants.How do newly arrived immigrants adjust to Hawaii public schools? How do the local students treat them? How do immigrants from differing countries treat each other? What is the Micronesian perspective? The immigrant Filipino perspective? The Vietnamese perspective? The Samoan perspective?

The Honolulu Advertisers failed to investigate such questions. Again, the conflicts between immigrant Asians and Polynesians have been swept under the rug. As well as conflicts between Micronesians vs Polynesians, Micronesians vs Asians, or even Asian vs Asian conflicts (ie Vietnamese vs Filipinos), Micronesian vs Micronesian (ie Marshallese vs Chuukese) or conflict among Polynesian (usually between rival housing projects [ie KPT, MWH, etc], though some have mentioned to me about Samoans and Tongans being suspicious of each other.)

Dont get me wrong, I'm NOT saying all Vietnamese hate all Samoans, etc. I know well adjusted people in McKinely High School who can get along with those of different ethnicities. That should be encouraged.


But sweeping things under the rug gets us absolutely NOWHERE! Meanwhile immature punk-asses from all sides are saying stuff about each other, teasing each other's differences, etc. Real feelings get hurt, fights occur, injuries each other, and animosities that can last a lifetime.

One Chinese guy told me that he hated Polynesian people! Though I am not of Polynesian descent (though you'd never know for sure), his comment made me sick and disgusted! I told him that like everyone else, there's Polynesians I get along with and few I don't. Some of my favorite people at McKinley and UH are Polynesians. And some of my cousins are part-Hawaiian.

That Chinese guy later apologized for proclaiming his racial hatred (this was after I told him I have part-Hawaiian cousins) then mentioned that he was picked on Polynesians. He said he was slapped and robbed by a Samoan member of the Bloods at a public park. He heard Hawaiians making fun of the Chinese language. And on and on.

None of that excuses that person's racist attitudes. But that is what goes on, and that is swept under the rug by Hawaii's media.And that Chinese guy can't be the only one feeling that way. There's probably a few more Asian racists in Hawaii. I probably won't hear from them, being that I'm not Asian (though as I say, you'd never know for sure)