Saturday, October 12, 2024

Coming home from the hospital and the road to recovery

 In the previous blog post, I explained my experience of being hospitalized for jaundice, high liver enzymes in the bloodstream, and a blockage near my pancreas.  I went through an ECRP procedure where a stent was placed from my liver to my pancreas. 


https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2024/10/my-experience-with-jaundice-and.html


In the afternoon of Wednesday October 2, 2024, I was discharged from the hospital.



The following social media post describes my feeling post-release from the hospital.


I'm back home after 6 days at the hospital (for jaundice, high level of liver enzymes in bloodstream due to blockage near pancreas). It feels good back on my own bed, without all these needles on my arms, and without the constant, unpredictable interruptions. Seriously though, the health professionals are hard working, accommodating, and deserve all the benefits they're fighting for. While I'm now home, I'm still dealing with the after effects of nausea and fatigue. It'll be a while before I'm back to normal (or maybe this is the new normal)






As mentioned in that post, I was experiencing high levels of nausea and fatigue when I returned home.

Return to work? That would have to wait!

The first few days home, I wanted to vomit but nothing could come out except a few spitballs.  

Meanwhile, all stools were wet for the next few days.

It was only a few days ago when I finally had more solid stoools.

And just like the last few days at the hospital, my appetite really decreased.

In the first few days at home, I could barely finish 1 small can of soup, whereas under normal circumstance, I could easily chow down the contents of 2 cans of soup. 

Or my some of my meals could only consist of leftover baby carrots and raisins that I couldn't finish at the hospital.  

It would be days before I was able to finish 1 can of soup in one sitting. 

It was only today (10 days after discharge) that I am able to finish 1 can of chunky chicken soup in 1 sitting. 

========

Add to that,  I experienced upper abdominal pain due to the pancreas inflammation that was expected to occur after the ECRP procedure.

And sleep?

Due to the upper abdominal pain, I was too distracted to fall asleep. 

I would literally be up for hours, tired enough to sleep but feeling too much pain to sleep. Some days, I would only catch 1-2 hours of sleep at night.

It was 10/7/2024  (5 days after discharge) when I finally took an afternoon nap, where I was able to make up for lost sleep time of previous nights. 

I also took afternoon nap on some of the following days, which I was able to catch up on sleep.

The last 2 nights, I was finally to get a few more hours of night-time sleep. 

=====

And through all this time, I had to fill out documents to ensure I can get the benefits to help me through this tough time.

Yes, my family was able to help out with some things, but my family isn't rich. 

Meanwhile, every document I have to complete and/or submit has to be correct and error-free. 

At the same time, the institutions reviewing those documents work at a slower pace than they expect us (the general public submitting those docs) to.  Meanwhile, bill collectors aren't as patient. 

Luckily, I have a computer, scanner, and printer at home, but some people can't afford that stuff. And they're the ones who need help the most. 

It's experiences like these that remind me that we need a more humane and stronger safety net system. You can't "work hard" or "bootstrap" your way out of every problem.

 


=======

I do have a follow up procedure  scheduled later this month.


I'll explain more when it's time.