Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in review: personal

 Another year comes to a close.  Another year to reflect on!



I'm ending this year feeling ill for real. The last few days, I've been ill with a cold  ---- and physically fatigued.

However, 2013 in general  has been a great year for me.

1)  My personal life


From the first month of the year, I finally started my time as a graduate student within the  UH-Manoa's Library and Information Science (LIS) program.

I reflected on my experiences with the following blog posts


http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/05/my-first-semester-as-uh-grad-student.html (reflecting on the Spring 2013 semester)

http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/08/uhm-summer-session.html (reflecting on the Summer 2013 sessions)

http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/12/fall-2013-semester.html (reflecting on the Fall 2013 semester)

So yeah, that is the center of my life this year.

-----

And also, this year was the 10th anniversary of the following



-----

This year, I also finally got a smartphone -- a BlackBerry Q10, which I mentioned at http://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2013/10/adventures-on-my-new-smartphone.html

I love that phone because it made my life much more convenient. Just one example --- at a bus stop, I can check when the next bus is coming. Knowing that information can make waiting for the bus much much smoother.

However, because my smartphone is made by BlackBerry, a company that has been going through some pains, there are doubters out there.  One of them is my oldest brother, who heard the word "BlackBerry" and not a second later, predicts they'll be out of business next year. I don't agree with himI think the BlackBerry brand  appeals to a niche fanbase that, while smaller than the i-phone or SamSung Galaxy fanbase, has a passion that can't be underestimated!

I do think BlackBerry needs to step up its marketing campaign, and if they do, my oldest brother will have to eat his words. Only time will tell!

----

In other technology news,  I'm happy to report to 2 older relatives who have been way, way, way behind on technology have finally are able to use e-mail and the internet.

This may not be a big deal to most people, but those relatives have grown up in a time before the internet existed and had jobs in which computer use was not required.  They also grew up in less than ideal economic conditions.

But they finally caught up with at least some basic internet skills and I am proud of them.

I haven't talked to them about my blog yet.............but maybe in the future, they might read them.



In other personal news :

  • still working as a substitute teacher
  • again, working as a seasonal worker at Macy's this holiday season
Not sure how much longer I'll be doing either, since I plan to be a full-time librarian after getting my LIS degree in Spring 2015. But at least I've been working.