Saturday, December 31, 2022

Final blog post of 2022

 Another year has come to a close. 

And personally, 2022 has been a challenging year for me. Career-wise, health-wise, and other wise. 


Employment

I spent most of this year working at Macy's, an employer that I re-started working with back in October 2020.  It was originally meant to be just for the winter holiday season that year.  I applied to be on Macy's merchandise team (the ones who organize items on the selling floor in the morning), because I like to organize stuff. But with their bait & switch tactics (sadly typical), they had me sanitize hi-touch points, which I just went along with because it's an easy job. That "seasonal job" was extended to year-round. 

 However, the geniuses at Macy's corporate office decided to do away with sanitizing hi-touch points when the mask mandate ended in March 2022. I thought that was stupid because that would be when you needed sanitization the most since all those maskless people would be spreading their germs. 

Then the geniuses at Macy's thought it would be a good idea to switch me to "back of house support" which has plusses (organizing incoming materials, which I love doing) and minuses (working with machines, which I hate doing). After a few weeks, I had a discussion with them, telling them they are negligent about workplace safety, I told them I'll go to OSHA, and I told them they should've asked me if  I liked working with machines before switching me to a position involving machines. After that, they switched me to "front-of-house support duties" (folding towels and clothes, replenishing the shelves, etc) which was what I should've been doing the whole time because that's where I excel.  But now the new problem is the reduction of work hours.

Meanwhile, I keep applying for other jobs. My main preference is libraries, but I also applied for office clerical positions.  

Then by September of this year, I decided it's time for me work at the schools again. I was a substitute teacher from 2005-2018, and I was a library assistant from 2019-2020. I was considering returning to substitute teacher in late 2020, but I've heard from other substitute teachers there wasn't much work for them available due to the classes being online. 

But by Fall 2022, in-school classes were back in session.  Time to go back.

In October of this year, I did reapply with Kelly Services (an organization that provides substitute teachers for private and charter schools). At the same time, someone from Kama‘aina Kids saw my resume and encouraged me to apply for their afterschool program. Within a few days apart, both organizations hired me. But who to pick? Kama‘aina Kids had a more consistent schedule. 

Kama‘aina Kids had an after-school position at  Mary, Star of the Sea School (aka MSOS aka Star of the Sea), a private school in Kahala.   I started the position in November. 

I was happy to be back working with the kids again, though in a different context from the sub teaching I've done in the past.  The problem was that the admin at MSOS thinks that we should "move on from covid" and doesn't understand the seriousness of contagious respiratory diseases.

I blogged about the issue at https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2022/12/covidiocy-at-star-of-sea.html

Meanwhile, the state Department of Health, whom I interviewed with for an office position back in September, offered me a temp full-time office position that started this December.

I was done with the afterschool job at MSOS

And I was done with Macy's. A part of me was sad to leave, a part of me was happy to leave.

My main mentors in my last few months at Macy's were wonderful people. I was sad to leave them.

But the position was only part-time, and they cut my hours earlier this year due to budget reasons. Also, I didn't totally like some of the directions the corporate office wanted to take the company. 

So, I'm now a temp office assistant with the Department of Health. I'm applying some clerical skills I learned in the past, as well as learning some new procedures.  Basically, I'm organizing both physical and digital items for the department. I don't have to interact with the general public (for now).

Being that I'm a temp, there's no guarantee I'll still be in the position a year from now. 


------

I did spend some time volunteering with the Friends of the Library of Hawaii (FLH) this year.  

They have a bookstore Village Books & Music located at Ward Villages. They're open Tuesday - Sunday. For most of the year, I came in on Monday (when the store is closed to the general public) to reorganize and replenish the shelves. I loved it.

However, with my new job, I won't be able to come in on Mondays anymore. :(


FLH did have their annual summer booksale again this year, after the pandemic cancelled it the previous 2 years.

We still took the pandemic seriously, and we still required attendees to wear a mask to prevent it from being a super-spreader event.

Whereas the past summer booksales took place at my alma mater (McKinley High School - should be renamed Honolulu High School), this year, it took place at the former Pier 1 Imports location at Ward Village.  It is also across the street from much smaller Village Books & Music. 


At the annual booksale, I mostly did exit surveys, questioning those leaving how they found out about the event. Some just wanted to rush out of there, while others were willing to answer the questions. The greatest part for me was when I talked to a former classmate, and he mentioned his regrets from his past. 


FLH will have another booksale at the former Pier 1 Imports location in January. Not yet sure if they'll require masks, but I'll wear one anyways. Learn more about the upcoming  Music & Book Sale at https://friendsofthelibraryofhawaii.org/2022/09/26/2023-flh-music-book-sale/


Health

The past few years, I've been struggling with my weight. 

When I look at my photos from 2019, I'm amazed I look slimer than I do now. Then I get depressed over the weight I gained since 2020.

Back in August 2020, I got an ankle injury that lasted a few weeks. I was less active in my movements but still active in my eating. And it's been downhill from there. 

The lounge at Macy's almost always had snacks available. But time to exercise that weight off wasn't always available.

I admit I've become more sedentary and homebound since 2020.

Then when I did a blood test in October, the results came in. I had high cholesterol and was considered prediabetic.  It was suggested that I talk with a dietician.

When talking with my dietician, I noted to him that I've long been a picky eater (learn more at this link), only able to eat a limited types of fruits and vegetables, and I also admitted I eat too many snacks, meats and rice. 

With that information, the dietician suggested I start eating more whole-grains to counteract the cholesterol.  Eat more brown rice and less white rice. Good to eat more sandwiches with whole-grain bread and eat peanut butter.   Eat less red meats and more chickens and fish.  On my plate, add a little more lettuce (one of the few veggies I eat) and a little less rice and meats. Also, snack on carrots (one of the other veggies I eat) and less on sweets. 

I did inform my parents on this, in case they want to send more care packages to my home. 

And also, at my new job, there's no vending machines, and there's no restaurants in walking distance. So I bring home lunch. I am eating more sandwiches & carrots during the week. 

Making changes to eating habits is never easy, but I think I'm on my way to better health. Only time will tell


Music/art

Sadly, I haven't had as much time to work on my music as I did in past years. I also made much less money from my music compared to last year.  Sadly, other priorities got in the way.

Pablo the Mad Tiger Warrior did release one single this year. It was a ska-metal track "Summer Fun"

You can download the track via iTunes at

You can also listen to it on Spotify at

You can watch the YouTube video for the track at 

and you can read my blog post about that track at 



Pablo the Mad Tiger Warrior has some tracks ready for a potential future album(s) but I can't give you a timeline on when they'll be released.  Other priorities need to be taken care of first, and I have extremely limited funds. Those who want to help out on the financial end can donate via PayPal at https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/pweg


As for my visual arts, I did add a few more designs to be available on RedBubble. You can buy all kinds of merch (shirts, hats, pillows, postcards, stickers, magnets, and much more) showcasing my designs at RedBubble. They don't make it until you order it. Check out my designs and start shopping 😊 at https://www.redbubble.com/people/madtigerwarrior/explore


------

and going back to music, here's my list of favorite tracks by other artist this year


  • Post Malone & Doja Cat "I like You"
  • Harry Styles "As it Was"
  • Harry Styles "Late Night Talking"
  • Tyga & Doja Cat "Freaky Deaky"
  • Doja Cat "Get Into It (Yuh)"
  • Tyga, Jhena Aiko, Pop Smoke "Sunshine"
  • Destiny Rogers "Summer Nights"
  • Megan Thee Stallion & Dua Lipa "Sweetest Pie"
  • Dua Lipa & Young Thug "Potion"
  • Chainsmokers "I Love You"
  • Steve Lacy "Bad Habits"
  • Muni Long & Saweetie "Baby Boo"
  • Fior "YoYo"
  • Stela Cole "Rhapsody in Pink"
  • Lizzo "About Damn Time"
  • Lizzo "2 be Loved (Am I Ready)"
  • Bebe Rexha "I'm Good"
  • Marshmello w/Khalid "Numb"
  • Camila Cabello w/ Ed Sheeran "Bam Bam"
  • Lil Nas X "Star Walking"
  • Wiz Khalifa "Memory Lane"

And for nostalgia's sake, we had 

  • New Kids on the Block (w/Salt N Pepa, Ric Astley & En Vogue) "Bring Back the Time"
  • Swedish House Mafia (featuring Sting) "Red Light"
  • City Girls w/Usher "Good Love"
and also, Kate Bush's 1984 hit "Running Up That Hill" got new life this year, entertaining fans who were either too young (like me) or not yet born when the song came out. 

Hopefully my 2023 will be so great that I'll be nostalgic for it further in the future.