Saturday, June 13, 2020

For phones, don't put all your eggs in one basket

Back in September 2018, I got a BlackBerry KeyOne.

I blogged about it at
https://pablowegesend.blogspot.com/2018/09/adventures-with-my-new-keyone.html


A few days ago, the back cover was starting to pop out and couldn't shut!


Yesterday, I went to one of those phone-repair kiosks at a mall and asked if they could fix the problem. He took a look and said that the battery is swollen and that trying to push against it would make it worse.  He also mentioned that getting BlackBerry batteries here would be hard to find, but suggested that I search on eBay. He promised that once I get a replacement battery, he can fix the issue.

I went home, look online for the following issues

  • swollen batteries (best to get rid of it, it can be dangerous if it gets even more swollen)
  • does the local Best Buy still sell BlackBerry KeyOne (no)
  • does eBay sell replacement batteries for BlackBerry KeyOne? (yes, I'll have to wait about a week before receiving the delivery)

I also tried to charge the old BlackBerry Q10 that I haven't used since 2018. It couldn't charge! 


Meanwhile, my mind was thinking
  • while waiting for the replacement batteries to arrive, do I want to risk continuing using the KeyOne with the swollen battery?
  • do I want to risk being phone-less for the rest of the week, which will mean I have nothing to use  to call 911?
  • do I want to risk being phone-less for the rest of the week, which will mean that I won't be getting calls from family, friends and employers?
  • do I want to spend big money on a smartphone that I could get now at the nearest store, even if it's not a BlackBerry?
  • should I just get a flip-phone for now, just so I have something to call 911, and I can still receive calls from family, friends and employers?


I just decided to get a flip-phone at the nearest T-Mobile store. I explained my situation and the store associate was very helpful!

So I'll just use the flip-phone until the replacement battery for my BlackBerry KeyOne arrives.


This situation teaches a very important lesson!

  • for your smartphone (or any device for that matter), always have at least one replacement battery ready.  Don't wait until something goes wrong before ordering a replacement! 
[note: unlike the Q10, the KeyOne back cover is designed to make it hard to open and replace the battery yourself, so contact a professional]

  • always have another phone available in case your main phone goes down!
in this case, I just bought a flip-phone as a back up so I at least have something to use for emergencies and receiving calls.